Westerville North starts off winter preseason amidst COVID-19

Zuhur Sofe, Reporter

Preparation for the  winter season for North teams has just begun, but this year won’t replicate the ones before. With COVID-19 still a pertinent danger, Warrior teams have had to overcome new challenges as they begin the winter season.

Senior Jake Gooding is in his fourth year of wrestling for the school. However, this year looks a lot different than the rest. 

“It’s forced us to get creative, we’re practicing in smaller groups, staying with the same partners, spacing out when we wrestle and sanitizing before and after practice,” Gooding said..

These changes aren’t only seen with wrestlers, the  dive team has also changed practice to be as COVID friendly as possible.

Connie Wu, a sophomore, is on the dive team this year. 

“We aren’t able to use multiple lanes…we also can’t stretch in the hot tub like we used to,” Wu said.

Despite all of these measures, there are still some concerns for athletes and staff as the winter season begins. Some sports require more contact than others and with that comes growing concerns for the ability to continue practice.

Delaney Roush is a former wrestler for North.

“I do fear for them [wrestlers] since wrestling is such a contact sport…considering how close you need to be to perform the sport itself, continuing is concerning for the athletes,” Roush said.

Gooding believes the continuation of the wrestling season is possible regardless of this.

“I trust my coach, team, and the sport. I think if everyone follows the precautions and guidelines that are out, we’ll be alright,” Gooding said.

Sophomore lacrosse player, Sarah Rubadue also shares this positive attitude. Although lacrosse is a spring sport, they have started adapted conditioning practices. 

“I feel like the safety measures that are in place right now are good enough,” Rubadue said.

With all of these challenges lying ahead for the winter sports teams, they still hold excitement for their upcoming season.

“Being a part of the wrestling team here at North feels like family and I can’t wait to get back to wrestling,” Gooding said.

The community of Westerville wishes our winter sports teams a fulfilling continuation of their winter season.