Swim and Dive program at Westerville North adapts to rocky school year

Norths swim and dive teams gear up for a hectic 2020-2021 season.
Picture from: @Northwarriors on Instagram

North’s swim and dive teams gear up for a hectic 2020-2021 season. Picture from: @Northwarriors on Instagram

Emily Widman, Reporter

Westerville North’s aquatic teams gear up as they face one of the most unpredictable school years yet. 2020 has been full of nothing but surprises due to COVID-19, but that hasn’t gotten in the way of the Warrior’s passion and drive for swim and dive. With new safety precautions taken to protect every swimmer’s safety, nothing is stopping one of North’s most driven winter sports teams.

The CDC states that while the virus primarily spreads respiratorily, washing your hands can make a significant difference when transferring the virus while in the water. Social distancing guidelines remain intact in the pool also. These changes to pool etiquette add a few more concerns to WNHS’s 2021 swimmers and divers.

Despite these restrictions, the winter athletes haven’t let the pandemic break their stride – or stroke. Sophomore member of the dive team, Connie Wu, remains unfazed by COVID’s effect on the 20-21 dive season. 

“COVID hasn’t really affected our practices; we just wear masks before and after practice and are socially distanced when waiting for our turn [to dive],” said Wu. 

Sophomore swimmer for Westerville North, Hannah Rex, has had a similar experience to Wu as far as restrictions go, both in and out of the pool. 

“Practices are socially distanced to the best extent. Now there are people swimming on each side of the pool and we are separated into groups,” said Rex.

One thing that has been a struggle for the athletes this season is the beloved Warrior Nation not being allowed to be in the stands to cheer on their classmates.

“Meets with no spectators are allowed, which makes [the meets] quieter and less energetic,” says Rex.

Meets as a whole have a whole new meaning for the athletes with new restrictions.

“There is a limit for how many people can compete at one meet, so there isn’t as much competition. There are also not as many meets,” says Wu.

Despite the lack of fans and competition for the Warriors, the athletes coming together and supporting one another, truly embodying the Warrior way, is the glue that is keeping the team together.

“I’ve done seven seasons of swim. North is different because it has more of a team dynamic,” says Rex.

“COVID has boosted team morale. Since we know it has changed our season, we’re more focused on having fun, rather than getting high scores at meets,” says Wu.

Despite the obstacles these winter athletes have been forced to face, the Warriors togetherness as a team is enough to turn this COVID season around.