Students face stress with the college application process

Olivia+Lacher+%2811%29+gets+a+head+start+on+college+applications.+Westerville+Norths+workshop+Wednesdays+gives+students+an+opportunity+to+work+with+counselors+on+their+college+applications.++

Brittany Abston (12)

Olivia Lacher (11) gets a head start on college applications. Westerville North’s workshop Wednesdays gives students an opportunity to work with counselors on their college applications.

Kai Dages (Senior), Feature Editor

As the due dates for college applications come closer, seniors at Westerville North are starting to worry about the college application process. With the lengthy application process including writing essays, filling out pages of information, and getting reference essays from teachers, it is no wonder why seniors may feel stressed. Many colleges have their due date for application in early November but other colleges may have their application date as late as January. 

For senior Hannah Earhart, writing the college essay is the most stressful part of the college application process. 

“The essay part, I haven’t even started that and I don’t really know where to start. It just seems like a lot to do in a short amount of time,” Earhart said.

North offers help with the college essay writing every Wednesday during the lunch periods at the front of the school. The school counselors may help seniors struggling with the writing process.

“Any student can come get help and [we] support the process because we know that it’s a lot,”  school counselor Melissa Simashkevich said.

But for many, the college application process is stressful because of what it means for their future. Seniors have anxiety over what they should major in, what colleges they should apply to, and if those colleges are going to accept them. These are big questions for a high schooler to decide.

Seniors are not without support though, both Joseph Enders (12), and Earhart look to their parents for advice for college. Parents can offer great support for seniors in the college application process. However, if the senior is the first in their family to go to college then parents can offer little advice. 

Colleges do not offer outreach programs to help high school students with college applications. However, there are college admissions consultants that coach high schoolers through the application process, costing up to thousands of dollars. 

The lengthy process of college application pushes stress on seniors. “I feel they just want so much information and every single detail of your life through high school,” Earhart said. 

Colleges want a lot of information about seniors because they are trying to see what makes them stand out. Explaining the pages of surveys to fill out, an essay to write about yourself, and getting reference letters.

With the internet, college applications have never been easier. Additionally, due to COVID-19 the majority of colleges aren’t looking at ACT or SAT scores as closely as they have in past years. 

Underclassmen and juniors looking at going to colleges after high school can start their preparation now, instead of later. “[It’s important] to be keeping track of the activities, clubs, and awards you receive,” Simashaveich said. For juniors, Ender’s advice is to “start looking at colleges now and work on their common application over the summer.” Despite the stress and anxiety that college applications can put on students, students need to take it one part at a time and realize that they can finish the application process.

Odyssey Instagram Poll