Breaking News
  • April 25Ap testing starting soon
  • April 25Last day to complete CCP steps is coming up
  • April 25Columbus Crew win leg 1 of CONCACAF Champions Cup
  • April 2520 days left of school
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Westerville North students celebrate Ramadan

Muslim+women+at+Ibnu+Taimiyah+Masjid+and+Islamic+Center+waiting+for+Tarawih+%28meaning+rest+and+relaxation%29+nightly+prayer+to+start.+
Ridwan Adam (Junior)
Muslim women at Ibnu Taimiyah Masjid and Islamic Center waiting for Tarawih (meaning rest and relaxation) nightly prayer to start.

Ramadan is a month celebrated by many Muslims all around the world. It is the ninth and most holiest month on the Islamic calendar as it was when the Quran was revealed to the Prophet Muhammed. The Islamic calendar is based on the lunar cycle so it begins and ends with the new moon. During this month, Muslims observe the act of fasting.

According to Brandeis University, ”Muslims observe a strict fast from dawn until sunset. They are not allowed to eat or drink (even water) during daylight hours. Fasting is a private act of worship bringing about nearness to God, as well as a form of spiritual discipline and a means to empathize with those less fortunate.”

Before starting the day of fasting they wake up and eat a meal called “Suhoor”, a meal consumed in the early hours of the morning before sunrise. Then they break their fast with a feast at sundown with friends and family called “Iftar.”

Umu Khayr Ibrahim (2026) is having a much harder time balancing school with school now coinciding with Ramadan, “I don’t have time to do my homework,” Ibrahim said. As she wakes up earlier for suhoor and goes to sleep late after praying.

“Ramadan Mubarak” is a commonly used phrase to wish someone a “Blessed Ramdan.” Another common saying is “Ramadan Kareem,” which is said to wish someone a “generous Ramadan.” (Made in Canva) (Sadio Abdi (Senior))

While fasting is a big part of Ramadan, not everybody can. In Islam, people who don’t have to fast are those who are pregnant or breastfeeding, prepubertal, menstruating, traveling, elderly, mentally disabled and have a sickness or chronic illness that would worsen with fasting.

Besides fasting, Muslims use this month as a month of betterment. Muslims pray their daily five prayers as well as a nightly prayer called “Tarawih”, recite and learn the Quran, and try to give more charity to the poor.  It is a period of trying to slow down, break bad habits and reflect on life. After Ramadan ends there is a big three-day celebration called Eid Al-Fitr, which starts with the sighting of the new moon. 

During Eid Al-Fitr, Muslims celebrate by gathering with friends and family. Eid salah (prayer) happens on the morning of Eid Al-Fitr day, at a local mosque alongside the whole community. It is common to receive gifts or money from family members on this day. 

Ramadan opens up the opportunity for muslims to talk more frequently with family, listen and grow spiritually. “[This Ramadan], I look forward to connecting with my family and making some new memories,” Ibrahim said.