Sarah Fuller makes history as the first female in a Power Five football game

“Play like a Girl” is Fuller’s motto, as it should be. Photo from Vanderbilt Athletics

Jolie Helt, Reporter

Football, one of America’s most admired sports was forever changed this past December, when a female made an appearance that will go down in history. Vanderbilt’s football team was faced with a challenge when their kickers were unable to play and were placed in quarantine due to COVID-19. 

Next in line was Sarah Fuller, a senior soccer player at Vanderbilt University. Little did she know, she was going to make history and inspire women and girls across the country. 

Fuller sent the nation into shock as she became the first female to play and score in a Power Five football game. The Power Five consists of the most five successful NCAA conferences. 

Never before had a female completed or made an appearance in one. Therefore making this moment special for every female in the sports world. 

Margaret Moc, former kicker for Westerville North’s football team and senior soccer player, was happy to see female representation not just within a male dominated sport, but football, a sport she loved to play. 

“I was absolutely ecstatic because she’s living out the dream I’ve had since I was in 5th grade,”   Moc said. 

Just like Moc, sophomore wrestler Melania Szawranskyj was also inspired and excited about Fuller’s appearance in the Power Five football game. 

“When I first saw the news about it I thought it was really cool,” Szawranskyj said. “It made girls feel excited and heard in a way.”

Moc and Szawranskyj have experienced the feeling of doubt being a part of a male-dominant sport. 

Just like Fuller, both girls have received a lot of support, but also a lot of negativity. Fuller was criticized and judged by many people watching. 

“[They] are just people stuck in the old days of ‘girls can’t do boy things’,” Moc said.

Neither Moc or Szawranskyj believe the hate Fuller received was justified. 

“When people see a girl doing what a guy does, it triggers some…inappropriate comments [or] doubtful words,” Moc said. 

Despite all the negative comments, Fuller received tons of support from fans around the world. 

Not only are young female athletes, like Moc and Szawranskyj, inspired by Fuller’s actions, but also adults and females around the world. 

Westerville North teacher, Michelle Feige, is excited to see Fuller going against all odds. 

“[I am] thrilled for any woman who is breaking the glass ceiling,” Feige said. 

Feige supports Fuller completely and believes that she is an inspiration to everyone, especially young girls. 

“ [It’s] important for young girls to have role models,” Feige said. “Girls can do anything.”  

Feige, although ecstatic about Fuller’s accomplishments, is looking forward to the day where these achievements and moments aren’t just ‘firsts,’ but they become normalties. 

Fuller’s appearance has changed not just the game of football, but also the world of sports. 

For every girl, every woman, this is the epitome of hope, and is one step closer to equality. 

Szawranskyj during a wrestling meet. Photo courtesy of Melania Szawranskyj
Moc kicking a field goal for the Warriors. Photo courtesy of Margaret Moc