District plans partial return to in-person instruction

Jolie Helt, Reporter

The 2020 back-to-school season was nothing like the U.S. has seen before, as several districts in Ohio, including Westerville, returned fully online. After returning online for a couple weeks, Westerville City Schools announced that schools would be shifting to a hybrid learning schedule.

Ohio uses an advisory system composed of different levels used to determine what areas are more at risk due to COVID-19. For weeks, Franklin County was under a level three advisory, meaning it had a high risk of exposure to the virus. Then, on Aug. 27, Governor Mike DeWine announced that Franklin County had moved down to level two, ultimately prompting Westerville’s change in plans. 

Shortly after, on Sept. 7, Westerville City Schools announced that schools would be returning to a hybrid learning schedule. This hybrid schedule is designed to slowly allow students to get back into schools. The schedule divides students by last name into two groups called cohorts. Each week, one of the cohorts will be learning in-person while the other practices distance learning.

Many Westerville community members have expressed their opinions about returning to in-person. Some want to return, while others don’t. 

Alia O’Brien, a Westerville South student, is an advocate for returning later than the designated day. She created a petition on Change.org, a website that allows anyone to make a petition people can sign online, that hundreds have signed so far. 

“[I don’t] feel it is safe to be going back into schools yet,” O’Brien said.
  Originally, Westerville was planning to go back in early October. 

“It  would have been more appropriate and considerate on the district’s behalf to stick with the original date,” O’Brien said. She has done everything she can to try to bring attention to the dangers of returning so soon. 

“I don’t want to, nor am I trying to, keep people online…The last thing I want is to remain in online school any longer than necessary,” O’Brien added.

While many are wanting to push the date back, others are preparing for the upcoming weeks ahead. 

Kurt Yancey is Westerville North’s principal, and overall has a positive attitude regarding the return to school.

“[I am] optimistic that we can have a safe return to some normalcy for our students,” Yancey said.  

A video and written document was released Sept. 16 about what school will look like whilst returning. Some examples: hallways will be divided by direction, drinking fountains are not to be used, hand sanitizing stations will be present, and seating will be assigned in the cafeteria during lunch. 

Rick Vilardo, a parent of a student at South and a member of the school board, has been a part of discussions of what the district is doing to prepare students for such an altered way of learning. 

“Masks will be required…[and] there will be a significant increase in hand sanitizing stations,” Vilardo said.

As a parent, however, Vilardo has concerns about his child as well. 

“I will be hesitant only if I see or hear of students and staff not taking the necessary precautionary measures,” Vilardo said.

Despite some of his concerns, Vilardo wants to stay positive during these times. 

“We must thoughtfully and strategically try to live forward, trust each other to do the right thing (even when not in school), and try to move on with our lives,” Vilardo said.

Like Vilardo, parents all over Westerville have been nervous about sending their child back into the classroom. 

Debra Humbert, mother of two North Students, Diana and Danielle Humbert, shared some of her concerns, as well as ways everyone can do better.

Humbert claims she has differing opinions on the return to school. She understands that socializing is important for her kids, especially with her youngest being an incoming freshman. She doesn’t want her kids to feel isolated.

However, she also has a different perspective of putting her kids at risk. Although socializing is important, there are precautions that need to be taken. 

“Social distancing, washing hands, taking temperatures [are all ways to prevent COVID-19],” Humbert said.

Just like every parent, Humbert wants her kids to go to school and learn like every other year.

“Parents and teachers need to be educated about COVID-19 [in order to have a successful return to school],” Humbert said. 

Kids are eager to return back to in person learning, but fear comes along with that as well. Everyone in the Westerville community wants to make this year as normal as possible.

For seniors, this year is already tough with added struggles. 

Nathan Sharpes is a senior this year and has expressed the difficulties of these struggles. 

“It’s been hard this year not having much of a senior year,” Sharpes said. 

He is trying to stay optimistic, and he claims he wants to make the best of the situation.

“[I want the class of 2021 to know] we care about them as individuals…[and that] we are looking for ways to keep senior year for 2021 as normal as possible,” Yancey said.

Positivity seems to be the key to making this year successful. Fingers are crossed as we step into this monumental year.