Powderpuff at Westerville North is more competitive than ever

Powderpuff coaches Taz Taylor (12), Donovan Varney (12), and James McCreery (12) watch the game anxiously.

Emily Widman (Senior), Reporter

Powderpuff, a traditionally careless and halfhearted competition between the different classes in the majority of high schools across the country, is taking on a whole new level of rivalry this year at Westerville North.

It all started with a great deal of pride that each team had in their players, as well as their coaches. Ashley Kisor, Westerville North High School (WNHS) senior, as well as wide receiver to the class of 2022s team, thinks that the coaches prepared the reigning champions well for the big game.

“The coaches did a good job at teaching us the plays and routes on offense,” Kisor said.

Connie Wu, a player on the junior team, had a similar experience with her different coaches.

“They brought their knowledge from what they already know and applied it to our drills and plays. They were encouraging,” Wu said.

The coaches have a mutual amount of enthusiasm towards their players. James McCreery, coach for the senior powderpuff team, has found enjoyment in witnessing his team improve each practice.

“Their players have improved a ton since the first practice. They have shown quite a lot of learning skills needed to play football,” McCreery said.

Each team was certain that they were going to take the win for their own teams Tuesday night.

“It might not be that bad, I know [the seniors] team lost a lot of players, so I think we have a good chance,” said Wu.

Despite the confidence each team has in their skills on the field, the game on Tuesday night proved that both teams were out for blood. Considering a rapid turn of events when many players were lost from each team due to other sports, specifically the girls soccer team, the game was neck and neck.

“I thought the game was going to be close since a ton of our starters were out for soccer, and it was, as I expected, a really close game,” McCreery said.

Competition and soccer intermissions aside, everyone has had a good time participating in this year’s rendition of Powderpuff at North.