Free Mary Jane

The+Statehouse+located+in+downtown+Columbus.+Discussions+about+state+laws+and+decisions+typically+take+place+here.+

Carli Godorhazy (Senior)

The Statehouse located in downtown Columbus. Discussions about state laws and decisions typically take place here.

Ellie Bernard (Senior), Social Media Editor

In the United States, 18 of 50 states have legalized the use of recreational marijuana. Most recently, Connecticut approved of measures in June 2021 with citizens ages 21 or older being able to possess up to 1.5 ounces recreationally. 

Ohio is looking to pass laws similar to these in the upcoming year with the state law to legalize the cultivation, processing, sale, purchase, possession, home growth, and use of recreational marijuana for adults 21 years of age or older. Adults would be able to possess up to 2.5 ounces of cannabis and up to 15 grams of marijuana concentrates. Individuals would be able to grow six marijuana plants at home or up to 12 plants per household. 

While recreational marijuana is not yet legalized in the state of Ohio, medical marijuana has been legal since 2016. 

According to Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center cite, medical marijuana has been seen to help with—the reduction of anxiety and inflammation, treating Alzheimer’s disease, controlling nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy, killing cancer cells, relaxing muscles in people with MS, and stimulating appetite and improve weight gain in people with cancer and AIDS.

Doctor Jenifer Campbell, who received her undergraduate from John Hopkins, attended medical school at the University of Pittsburgh, and completed her medical residency at the University of North Carolina, has concerns with the passing of this law. 

“As a pediatrician, I have significant concerns about legalization of recreational marijuana. Marijuana is dangerous to kids and adolescents; their brains are still developing. By legalizing it, even if limited to 21 and older, the exposure to it increases and the risks ignored,” Campbell said.

While she admits that medical marijuana has been proven to have some benefits in adults with chronic conditions, she stresses the negative effects and set risks it has for recreational use. 

“I think in general marijuana impairs judgment, memory and reaction time. I think this is an issue at any age but for developing brains it could create permanent problems,” Campbell said. 

Westerville North High School (WNHS) sophomore acknowledges the cons of the legalization of marijuana but believes the benefits outweigh the negatives. 

“Marijuana helps with mental disorders, sleeping, and anxiety. The effects they have on grades and performance in sports can be seen positively”, the student said. 

While one anonymous WNHS sophomore was highly in favor of the legalization, a senior at WNHS is against the idea. 

“The legalization of marijuana, while proved to be medically beneficial, cannot do the same recreationally. Students would treat it the same as they do with nicotine products, finding an older sibling or friend to buy it for them not knowing the true consequences of its use,” WNHS senior. 

The legalization of recreational marjiana will have to be placed on a ballot if going to pass and will most likely be voted on within the next year. For more information about upcoming ballets, elections, and registration to vote, visit the Ohio Secretary of State website .

Odyssey Instagram Poll;
38 participants