Breaking News
  • February 28NYPD believes that UGA murder was preventable
  • February 28Westerville tornado sirens went off early this morning
  • February 28Kelsea Ballerini set to host CMT awards in April
  • February 28Iowa adds Caitlin Clark's number to the court floor
  • February 28North Boys Basketball moves on to next round of tournament
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

These two pictures showcase the beginning of the food drive, and the little food that had been donated to the end of the drive which had over 6,000 things of food that was donated.
North places top three in the annual food war
Darrell Turner (Senior) February 22, 2024

As the annual food drive hosted by Interact club came to an end, Philip Pelzer’s advisory had the most amount of donated items for the third...

Continue Reading
This student finds their application rejected. This is likely because they submitted it online, instead of interviewing in person.
Teen job searches become increasingly difficult
Bo Hermiller (Junior) February 22, 2024

As teenagers get older, they may feel pressured to start looking for their first job. For some people, getting a job for the first time is an...

Continue Reading
This is a photo of Minajs new album Big Foot sitting amongst trash. Many fans are very disappointed in the quality of this album.
Diss track culture dethrones the Queen of Rap
Lia Webb (Senior) February 14, 2024

Nicki Minaj, deemed “Queen of Rap”  finds herself publicly feuding with Megan Thee Stallion,  another well known female rapper who dropped ...

Continue Reading

Daria Kasaktina makes history at United States Women’s Open

A+Graphic+representing+Daria+Kasaktina+playing+in+the+United+States+Tennis+Open.+Kasatkina+made+LGBTQ%2B+History+with+her+match+against+Greet+Minnem.+Made+on+Canva.++
T
A Graphic representing Daria Kasaktina playing in the United States Tennis Open. Kasatkina made LGBTQ+ History with her match against Greet Minnem. Made on Canva.

Despite Daria Kasatkina’s early exit before the Quarterfinals of the United States (U.S.) Women’s Open, she left an undeniable mark on this year’s tournament. Kasatkina is one of four out LGBTQ+ women’s tennis players competing in 2023.

Graphic showing Kasaktina’s match results. She made it to the Round of 16 in this years tournament. Made on Canva. (Theodore Garrett (Senior) )

Kasatina, as well as 16 other athletes from Russia and Belarus, have been granted the ability to compete, but under the condition that they play under a neutral flag opposed to playing for their home country. In an interview with OutSports Kasatkina spoke about wanting to play under the rainbow pride flag. “I want to ask the W.T.A. if I can play under the rainbow flag,” Kasaktina said. 

Her hopes of playing under the LGBTQ+ pride flag isn’t the only groundbreaking thing she did in the tournament. Kasatina matched up against Belgium’s Greet Minnem, the other publicly LGBTQ women’s singles player at the tournament this year.  

Kasatina’s impact from this tournament reached far past hardcore tennis fans and LGBTQ+ outlets. Mia Richards, a senior tennis player at Westerville North and a casual tennis fan, heard about Kasatina’s match with Minnem.

“I heard Kasatkina played against [Greet Minnem] in the third round and it was the first time two openly gay players faced each other in the U.S. Open,” Richards said. 

This year’s U.S. women’s open was a major step stone in the LGBTQ+ History. The Stonewall Inn Gives Back Initiative designated this year’s tournament as a “safe space”, which requires the meeting of a 10-step accreditation process. In this way, and many others, Tennis has shown that LGBTQ+ athletes can and do belong in sports at all levels. 

1
View Comments (1)