Breaking News
  • April 17Cedar Point reaches settlement with injured girl, opens new rollercoaster
  • April 17Indiana Fever draft Caitlin Clark with their number one pick
  • April 17NBA play in games began, teams fight for last available spots
  • April 17Taylor Swift leaves 'Easter Eggs' across the country ahead of new album release
  • April 17The USA Olympic team announces lineups
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior) April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior) April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

North’s new policies: my thoughts on the electronic policy

Alex Cardoza (Senior)
Students are on their phones at lunch. This is one of the few times a day they are allowed to use them.

The 2023-2024 school year at Westerville North High School features new commitments for students to make. Some of these seem to be more to address issues from the previous school year such as the “I will be where I am supposed to be at all times” commitment. Others are to stress the importance of the Warrior Way. 

The commitment that initially caught mine and many other student’s eyes the most is the no phones in the classroom policy. This policy limits the use of personal electronic devices such as phones or earbuds to student’s study halls, lunches, or class transitions. If one doesn’t follow this policy, they run the risk of catching lunch detentions. 

This sudden enforcement may come as somewhat of a shock to many students who may not have never really experienced this degree of electronic limitation within the classroom. In previous years, whether or not one could have an electronic out at all was largely up to the individual teacher. I personally view that to be the better route of dealing with electronics in school. 

I do believe the intention behind the phone policy is positive. Its primary purpose is to bolster student engagement and to improve the learning environment. I believe it also seeks to teach self control. However, I believe it also raises the question, is micromanaging students as such an effective method of teaching character? I don’t think it is. 

Previously, most classes I have taken were not terribly strict on electronics, but there was a mutual understanding that if I was on my phone and didn’t pay any attention to the lessons, then I would not do well in the class. The blame would fall on me. I feel that through this new system, the way of learning self control through personal decisions is devalued. 

I recall most clearly from my first day as a freshman, the teacher claiming we were all practically young adults and that we would be treated as such if we could act like ones. That was one of the first couple of big impressions I got from high school. Adding this micromanaging could diminish the value of greater personal freedom in education that high school provides and, for some, cause high school to feel more like a continuation of elementary and middle school rules. Also, it could make them feel disconnected from the school as it could conflict with their ability as 16, 17, and 18 year olds to make smart personal decisions. 

In my experience, if an individual truly does not care about something, there really is not anything you can do to convince them to reason with or willingly comply with you. I do not think it is worth it to remove a sense of freedom from every student because the few who simply do not care. 

1
View Comments (1)