Breaking News
  • April 25Ap testing starting soon
  • April 25Last day to complete CCP steps is coming up
  • April 25Columbus Crew win leg 1 of CONCACAF Champions Cup
  • April 2520 days left of school
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

WNHS Embraces Black History

Sadio Abdi (Senior)
This photo shows Westerville North High School seniors Mekseb Girmay and Sadio Abdi recording themselves reading the book, “Sulwe,” by Lupita Nyong’o for elementary school students.

To commemorate Black History Month, students in African-American History and Literature classes at Westerville North High School have launched a fantastic project. They decided to record and show informational videos on black history to inform high school and elementary school students. 

In Westerville North history classes, minute-long informational videos are played to showcase significant figures and events in African-American history. The students making these videos dedicate their time and energy to research, write scripts, film and edit them. The videos are also designed to spark discussions and encourage learning in social studies classes as each one ends with a set of questions to start classroom conversation and further thoughts into the topic. The videos will be shown daily, one for every day of Black History Month.

Apart from the video series, these passionate students have also organized a BHM Read-In to celebrate Black History Month. They recorded themselves reading children’s books that feature diverse characters, as well as important black figures. These videos are intended to be shared with elementary students throughout the district, allowing younger students to learn about and appreciate black history. This also helps the kids see themselves displayed in the books, explore different identities and form empathy. These videos will be shown two to three times a week in elementary classrooms.

Following this, the high school students plan to visit several elementary schools near the end of February to read books in their classrooms, for a better reading experience for the kids.

When asked about implementing it at Westerville South High School, Fatimah Ahmed (2024) agreed, “[It’d be nice to implement it] so students can learn more about African American history and culture, and to raise their awareness about the injustices they face,” Ahmed said. More direct access to information would be nice to have and not just what is briefly taught in history classes already.

These videos are one of the greatest additions added to Westerville North this school year. It’s truly inspiring to see these students take the initiative to spread knowledge and awareness about African-American history. Their efforts are commendable, and I hope their work will continue to make a positive impact on the community in the future. 

Black History Month