Breaking News
  • April 25Ap testing starting soon
  • April 25Last day to complete CCP steps is coming up
  • April 25Columbus Crew win leg 1 of CONCACAF Champions Cup
  • April 2520 days left of school
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Senior Superlatives aren’t worth the hype

Aiden+Montgomery+poses+for+president+which+is+one+of+the+senior+superlatives+this+year.+
Aiden Montgomery (Senior)
Aiden Montgomery poses for president which is one of the senior superlatives this year.

Superlatives is an interesting trend that has been a part of high school life and a running event for seniors. Some people think it is a giant popularity contest but some use it as a genuine measuring stick to describe their fellow classmates. This has led to a great debate in lunchrooms and classrooms in all high schools. The argument has two sides and the popularity contest side has a great point. Some people can use their popularity and social strength to stuff the ballot and get votes for their favorite choices depending if there’s rules for how many choices you can win. This has led to people not really getting any interest into the senior superlatives and less votes. 

The other side of the argument is that more people should be involved in senior superlatives and to get total participation. This has been a tradition for high school for many years and that many students ahead of us used this as a fun way to either make fun of or just take a judgment at other people that they have known for the last four years. It is always a fun way to judge others or make a dig at your friends.

My thoughts on this is that it can be taken both ways. You only get to do superlatives once and this is the last time you will see a lot of people in high school and one last joke on your friends. Everyone should at least submit their thoughts on this but the fun is lost when it becomes a popularity contest. Be truthful, go with your gut and have some fun with it and enjoy the last part of high school life.