Breaking News
  • April 25Ap testing starting soon
  • April 25Last day to complete CCP steps is coming up
  • April 25Columbus Crew win leg 1 of CONCACAF Champions Cup
  • April 2520 days left of school
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Minor sports hide in the shadows of the major ones

Boys volleyball has only become a sport in the OCC in the last two years, and it’s popularity is overshadowed by boys basketball and football.
Darrell+Turner+and+Keller+Hyde+play+volleyball+in+the+main+gym.+
Nolan Tribbie (Senior)
Darrell Turner and Keller Hyde play volleyball in the main gym.

Boys volleyball is something that became increasingly popular in 2008 in the U.S. as stated in an article on Sports Imports, and still not many people know of its existence. A lot of students at Westerville North High School do not know of its existence but the ones that do know of it thought that everyone already knew about it. Dylan Trong (2024) being one of them.

“I thought it was like the WNBA, everyone knows about women’s basketball shouldn’t people know about it too,” Troung said. This was shocking to discover due to the fact that many other students refuse to even acknowledge the existence of any sport at Westerville North.

“I choose not to care about anything this school has to offer,” Clarence Collins (2024) said. Westerville North has such a diverse group of students so it comes as no surprise that some do not care for the sports. A lot of students have a general ignorance of these sports so it’s not that they do not care about them, they just don’t know. 

Aiden Montgomery and Nick Rentschler, play volleyball in the main gym. This is what a common game looks like for the boys volleyball team. (Nolan Tribbie (Senior))

Usually there would be an announcement a little before the first practice allowing people to sign up for the sport, but not for many. There are a lot of sports that Westerville North has to offer but do not speak on them. They only really speak on popular sports. This causes people who are very passionate about certain sports to be the only ones to know about these sports. Everyone else would have to find out about friends or people that play those sports. Luke Gray (2024) found out about Westerville North’s boys volleyball team when he was in tenth grade when two players were talking about their game in his math class.

Getting the word out for these sports can be a good tactic to raise money for new equipment and to gain awareness to the players. Though it seems like that could be a waste of money, they can get more people to pay money for their tickets to check out these sports. Deven Hammonds is a senior at Westerville North that has only heard about a few sports at Westerville North such as basketball, football, and wrestling. “There should be more advertising for the sports,” Hammonds said (2024). This can be one of the few ways that Westerville North can get the word out about boys volleyball. “They could also promote grudge matches or rivalry games.” 

Giving recognition to the players can make them feel good about themselves, and attract people towards them and or that sport. Not only does it give them attention within the school, it can also attract colleges and universities to students at Westerville North. That can be an amazing thing and bring good reviews for Westerville North.  A great way for the word to get out would be if the athletic director brings attention to those sports. Students and coaches could also get the word out by word of mouth.