Breaking News
  • May 16Senior Night of excellence tonight
  • May 16Gov. DeWine signs HB250 requiring school districts to adopt policies on cellphones
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

French 2 students scour Westerville North for the next party
Annmarie Celello (Journalism 1 student)May 15, 2024

Groups of French 2 students frantically rush around the halls to find active learning opportunities  scattered in every nook and cranny, writing...

Continue Reading
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Luke Gray (Journalism 1 Student)May 14, 2024

The Odyssey Senior Edition went to print after a year-long effort by the Odyssey staff. ESCCO print shop fulfilled the print needs for the Odyssey...

Continue Reading
Next years student section leaders
2024-2025 Student Section Leaders Announced
Tyler Goebeler (Journalism 1 Student)May 11, 2024

On Thursday, May 2, Westerville North’s athletic director Wes Elefritz  announced its student section leaders for the 2024-2025 school year....

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press

Continue Reading
Next years student section leaders

Continue Reading

Following directions in French with their cheat sheet in hand, students discover pictures of party supplies around the school.

Groups of French 2 students frantically rush around the halls to find active learning opportunities  scattered in every nook and cranny, writing each image down in French to prove they had found them all. 

Using their cheat sheet of French direction words, the students follow the instructions given to them, learning multiple lessons in one.

Not only does this assignment serve the purpose of comprehension, but it also teaches students vocabulary.

“It’s taught me a lot about parties,” says Amro Musa, a French 2 student.

Due to the requirement of writing down what each party supply picture is in French, the scavenger hunt also encourages students to remember the vocab they had previously learned.

Additionally, students say that this scavenger hunt is not only an informative activity, but fun as well.

“I’d rather be doing [a scavenger hunt] than a test,” says Tyler Chou, another French 2 student.

Yesterday during second period, Dr. Leonard’s French 2 students desperately searched Westerville North High School to finish their scavenger hunt assignment before the period was over. Now, they are left with an enjoyable memory and a lesson well-taught.

As they were learning how to read directions in French and party supply vocab, they were also given a brain break from sitting in a classroom.

“You get to walk around instead of sit down,” says Amro Musa, one of the participating students, “[physical movement] helps you learn.”

Like Musa, other students enjoyed this activity.

“French is pretty cool,” says Tyler Chou, another participating student, “I like [it] more than Spanish.”

Chou feels as if he learned French faster than Spanish, despite taking AP Spanish, yet only French 2. He cites interactive learning as the difference-maker.

This scavenger hunt is only one of many interactive assignments that Leonard’s students have experienced, leading to positivity around the language. 

During spring time, French 2 students created their own Olympic events with Easter-themed prizes that ranged from giant lollipops to cotton candy buckets, anticipating the upcoming event in Paris this summer.

“It was fun because it’s cool,” Chou recalls, “and it’s candy.”