Breaking News
  • April 30New York Rangers and Florida Panthers are amongst teams moving to the second round of playoffs
  • April 30Pro-Palestine protests arise on college campuses across the country
  • April 30Tomorrow is the last day to preorder The Odyssey Senior Edition
  • April 30Travis Kelce signs 2 year contract extension with the Chiefs
  • April 30Taylor Swift holds the entire Top 10 of the Billboard 100 for a second time
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Students upset over lack of snow day

A graphic showcasing the temperature drop what Westerville North High School is experiencing. The lack of a snow day or delay that followed this climate upset students. Made with Canva.
Sadio Abdi (Senior)

Update: Due to the weather forecast, all the schools in the Westerville City School District will be closed on Friday, Jan.  19. 

Westerville North High School has experienced cold weather that hit this region earlier this week. The temperatures ranged from six to 24 degrees fahrenheit on Tuesday and Wednesday. Winter weather advisories were set in place during the majority of the two days, leading to difficulty traveling due to the conditions.

Plenty of students were surprised by the fact that the school remained open. Gemma Schmitt (2025) was one of them. “It’s a little concerning, there’s a lot of ice on the ground, so that’s kind of dangerous for the students,” Schmitt said.

The lack of a snow day or delay has caused students to reach out to Westerville City Schools Superintendent Dr. Joe Clark, who is responsible for declaring a snow day. He has been receiving plenty of emails from students throughout the district.

Earlier this year when the weather was better, a student from the Westerville City School District reached out to superintendent Joe Clark, hoping to get a snow day. After receiving the email Clark took to the social media site X to react in a playful manner.

Even though the weather has been harsh, the Westerville City School district has a specific policy in place establishing criteria to make these cancellation and delay decisions. The policy takes into account several factors like, the conditions of the road, the amount of precipitation and the longevity of the weather event. 

The main policy that has been called into question by students is that the “wind chill [has to be] at or below -15 F during key walking and waiting-for-bus times.” 

Anam Ibrahim (2024) has an opinion about this policy. “I feel like they should just let us stay, if it is below 10 degrees we shouldn’t go to school,” Ibrahim said. 

As the week goes on, an increasing number of students are anticipating a snow day to occur on Friday, Jan. 19. This is on account of the fact that the weather forecast predicts it to snow Friday morning.

“Hopefully tomorrow,” Ibrahim said. “If we don’t have one tomorrow, then I don’t think we will because it hasn’t been that cold this whole winter.”