Breaking News
  • April 17Cedar Point reaches settlement with injured girl, opens new rollercoaster
  • April 17Indiana Fever draft Caitlin Clark with their number one pick
  • April 17NBA play in games began, teams fight for last available spots
  • April 17Taylor Swift leaves 'Easter Eggs' across the country ahead of new album release
  • April 17The USA Olympic team announces lineups
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior) April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior) April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

New study halls have mixed reactions

Seen+in+this+picture%2C+is+an+example+of+a+regular+study+hall+at+Westerville+North+in+the+Student+Union.+Some+students+are+working+on+school+work%2C+while+others+on+on+their+phones.+
Keller Hyde
Seen in this picture, is an example of a regular study hall at Westerville North in the Student Union. Some students are working on school work, while others on on their phones.

Having a study hall is a simple concept in which students often feel bored and choose to socialize. At Westerville North High School, students are getting in trouble for not focusing or causing a disturbance during their study hall period. Administration has created a modified study hall as a solution to this problem. A modified study hall is where teachers actively help kids with their work and help them to stay on task, fully using the period to complete their work.

The administration at North has been trying newer policies this year such as the electronic policy and hall passes. This is another example of trying to maximize the time given to help kids succeed. This new process has been enlisted over the last two weeks and has had mixed opinions from many students. 

This is a graphic depicting a map of the Student Union where the study halls take place. There are areas for the students to sit, and areas for different resources.

Rhyann McKibben (2025) believes that “Teachers have been enforcing more rules and have been helping more, but regular study hall teachers are still not helping” McKibben said. Students have increased their disciplines towards school work over socialization. It is only three weeks into the semester, so the end of quarter results will paint a clearer picture of effectiveness.

Administration has also seen results on this new process.  Assistant Principal Shayna Wade-Argus comments on the situation, “Students who have wanted a quiet place have gotten that, and teachers managing now [makes] it easier to have specific expectations for this workspace,” Wade-Argus said. 

This whole semester teachers are going to be more involved as it took the idea of math help and made it so now if kids need the help, they can get it, with teachers actively available to help them with work.