Breaking News
  • May 16Senior Night of excellence tonight
  • May 16Gov. DeWine signs HB250 requiring school districts to adopt policies on cellphones
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

French 2 students scour Westerville North for the next party
Annmarie Celello (Journalism 1 student)May 15, 2024

Groups of French 2 students frantically rush around the halls to find active learning opportunities  scattered in every nook and cranny, writing...

Continue Reading
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Luke Gray (Journalism 1 Student)May 14, 2024

The Odyssey Senior Edition went to print after a year-long effort by the Odyssey staff. ESCCO print shop fulfilled the print needs for the Odyssey...

Continue Reading
Next years student section leaders
2024-2025 Student Section Leaders Announced
Tyler Goebeler (Journalism 1 Student)May 11, 2024

On Thursday, May 2, Westerville North’s athletic director Wes Elefritz  announced its student section leaders for the 2024-2025 school year....

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press

Continue Reading
Next years student section leaders

Continue Reading

Seniors rise with the sun

A new tradition is born so that the senior class can spend more time together before graduation.

Friday, May 3, seniors are meeting in the Jim McCann stadium to watch the sunrise, then moving tot he main gym to eat breakfast. The sunrise and breakfast is planned to celebrate the last few weeks of school before graduation. 

On Monday John Sands, the senior advisor sent an email inviting seniors and staff to the breakfast. This email included information about the time, sunrise at 6:20 and breakfast at 6:45. It also reminded students to wear a shirt representing the school they plan on attending after graduation. 

Many seniors and staff were curious about the food served at breakfast. Sands’ email said “We have a ton of food from Panera, & Schneiders” 

Many students are complaining about the time the sunrise starts. “I was sad because I had to get up early,” Kati Zonner said. Lots of seniors decided they are not going to attend because they have late arrival, making it inconvenient to go to the sunrise. 

Other seniors were happy to attend, “I was kind of excited because we don’t do a lot of activities together,” Anika Colvin said.

Some seniors sat in their car to watch. If they did go to the stadium, they left right after for the State Future Farmers of America Convention or other activities. Afterwards students  went to the Senior and Staff Breakfast at 6:45 am, where they were served Panera or Schneider’s Donuts.

“Approximately 60 people showed up [to the stadium] for the sunrise,” Zoe Harrington (2024) said.

“There probably could’ve been even more people,” Said Bethany Ruch. “I was there, but I was inside my car during the senior Sunrise so I don’t see why someone else couldn’t have done the same thing.”

“I heard there were quite a lot of people there,” Emmanuel Achia (2024) said. “I would say it was a success. Everyone said they were taking lots of pictures.”

All the events were exclusive as non-seniors and family members were strictly forbidden according to an email from John Sands, the senior class advisor. 

Also included in the event was destination day, where students would wear a shirt to represent the decision they made on what they want to do next year.

“The sky was pretty, but it was very humid,”  Kati Zonner said.

The sky was painted shades of pink and orange but it was too cloudy to be able to see the actual sun. It was in the low 60’s and humid. 

“It was a good way to reflect on life.” Annika Colvin said.

Senior Adviser, John Sands sent an email last week to the seniors, inviting them to the events. Many seniors said they wouldn’t go because of how early it was for them to wake up and go. 

Seniors wore a shirt from their college to show their plans for after graduation. 

The seniors ended their celebration with a class picture in front of the school during advisory.