The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Streaming Becomes Expensive
Streaming Becomes Expensive
Addison Saggio (Journalism 1 Student)July 17, 2024

In 2018, streaming was rising as the most popular form of entertainment, beating out DVDs, Blockbuster rentals, movie theaters and cable....

Continue Reading
Rayas Risky Adventure
Raya's Risky Adventure
Sophia Lee (Journalism 1 Student)July 5, 2024

I recently watched the Disney Film “Raya and The Last Dragon.'' If you have a mind that seeks adventure, dragons, and a hidden gem found in...

Continue Reading
More smoking devices, weapons confiscated at WNHS
Valerie Tanner (Journalism 1 Student)July 3, 2024

Smoking devices and weapons have made more appearances in schools over the past year.  The rise of weapons and smoking devices, more disciplinary...

Continue Reading
Streaming Becomes Expensive
Streaming Becomes Expensive

Continue Reading
Rayas Risky Adventure
Raya's Risky Adventure

Continue Reading

Continue Reading

Alix Thompson; an Amateur Boat Captain

A boy who boats, plays video games, and hangs out with his friends.
Alix Thomspon (2025). Alix participates
in different clubs such as GSA and
Gamer’s Club.
Addison Saggio
Alix Thomspon (2025). Alix participates in different clubs such as GSA and Gamer’s Club.

At the start of every summer, Alix Thompson and his family get out their boats and take them to Hoover Dam to ride for the season. His family owns canoes, kayaks, and a sailboat. Alix’s summer job is cleaning these boats, which he doesn’t like very much as it can be a long and tedious job to do, but the work pays off as he gets to spend a few months riding around on the water with friends and family. 

Alix prefers to stay at sea level as he is afraid of heights, but despite his affiliation with boats, a surprising fact about him is that he wants to own a pick up truck someday. 

One of his favorite things to do is hang out with friends, whether enjoying the water with them or playing UNO. Alix enjoys spending time with friends and supporting them however he can, such as cruising off to theater performances to support his favorite actor, Sammy Darkus. 

As much as Alix loves spending time with his friends, though, he does think there’s a point when you have to navigate back home and spend some time by yourself.

He isn’t a fan of friends overstaying welcomes or people missing social cues. Sometimes all he wants to do is drift off into his mind while listening to the Crane Wives. Alix’s states that the most useful advice he has received was that “It does not matter how others perceive you,” but the advice that he could paddle away without would be that “99% of gamblers quit before they win.”

When Alix isn’t at Hoover Dam spending time with the boats, he enjoys playing “Nintendogs” on his DS, watching YouTube shorts, or doing some land activities such as biking around. If Alix sailed away to a deserted island, he would bring a fire starter with him.