Trump takes on Gen-Z over the increasingly popular TikTok

Odyssey Poll Sept. 2020

Odyssey Poll Sept. 2020

Emily Widman, Reporter

2020 has become an  age of controversy. One example includes the conflict between the U.S. President and TikTok, the social media app that has taken the world by storm. President Donald Trump has threatened to take the popular lip syncing/ dancing app off of all American app stores if it isn’t sold from its Chinese based owner by Sept. 20th. Ultimately, this debate has pitted Gen-Z against President Trump.

TikTok, an app used primarily by  teens, has been one of the most popular apps this year, especially thanks to the lockdown-courtesy of the COVID-19 pandemic sweeping the world off its feet. It is mainly used for 15 second dances and lip syncing videos, although many other creators have found a voice on the app, from comedians to artists to musicians.

On Aug. 7th,  President Trump first threatened to take the  app off of all U.S. app stores, due to the fear of the Chinese government spying on the U.S., which had become a scare to America’s government.

TikTok is owned by the company ByteDance, whose headquarters are located in Beijing. President Trump fears that China’s government is accessing private information about the United States government, like weapons or intelligence data, and will use it for blackmail against the U.S.

According to cnn.com, TikTok has denied these allegations and that their data centers are no longer located in China. However, Trump remains suspicious, and says that if TikTok doesn’t find an American owner, like Microsoft or Walmart, by September 20th, the app will be removed from U.S app stores for good.

Amanda Cooper is a sophomore and is a frequent user of the app. 

“I do not think that TikTok holds information on U.S. weapons or intelligence data. There is no reason why weapons would be in our drafts,” Cooper said.

Karlee Michel is the Honors Spanish 4 teacher and cross country coach, as well another ambassador of the app for educational purposes.

“I don’t understand how [TikTok] could hold that type of information. I don’t know how they would find any security issues. It’s more of people dancing and acting funny,” Michel said.

“I still feel comfortable using the app, because I don’t think that the Chinese government is spying on the U.S. through TikTok,” Cooper added.

Michel  is slightly more unsure on whether she will continue to use the app, but it certainly isn’t because she feels unsafe. 

“The reason I wouldn’t use it is because I’m a teacher, and it’s like, kind of creepy sometimes. Some of the stuff on [TikTok] is kind of weird. 

“But I also think that it is good for this generation, and I think they are using it well. I don’t think there are any risks with the government,” Michel added.

When Cooper was asked if TikTok should stay in app stores as new owner options are explored, her answer is certain. 

“Definitely. TikTok is very beneficial. It has given lots of people a platform to express themselves,” Cooper said.

Chrissy Widman is a senior and does not use TikTok quite as much.

“The users of TikTok might have information through drafts. Just maybe. You never know how bad people are these days,” Widman said. 

“I don’t think China is spying on the U.S. Who wants to be like America right now? Nobody wants information from us,” Widman added. 

Despite some of the concerns raised, Widman is still in support of keeping TikTok on app stores.

“I think that it is a positive outlet for a high quantity of Americans. We could all use a positive outlet right now,” Widman said.

It is widely believed, by many users of the dancing app, that President Trump wants to delete TikTok because it spreads many negative rumors about him. Back in June, the teens on the app bought tickets to a rally he was having in Tennessee and didn’t show up so that it would be empty, in an attempt to make him look bad and embarrass the president. 

“Yes. I do think that [TikTok] is being removed because Trump is being bullied. I think he is using the fact that it may be a threat to National security as an excuse to delete the app,” Cooper said.

Widman is also in agreement with Cooper regarding the theories that Trump wants it removed because he is being bullied.

“TikTok has been a positive outlet for so many people. I sure hope it sticks around,” Widman said.

Due to popular demand, Trump had decided to prolong TikToks time on U.S. app stores. Gen- Z is definitely relieved.