New seasons call for new art!

Paintings and art pieces by North high school student artist Chloe Sampson throughout the year 2020.

Brittany Abston, Reporter

‘Tis the season for Halloween decorations, color changing leaves, cool weather, and many more. You may or may not have noticed how apparent art becomes during seasonal months like these ones. Whether  that be through photography, fall paintings, and even music. 

Enjoying seasonal art is fun, but have you ever thought about the ways in which art changes throughout the year? Or maybe even why the piece of art was created. 

Autumn Nelson, a senior at North is heavily inspired by art and even creates her own. 

“I create art as a way to process my emotions. I act, sing, sew, embroider, and paint occasionally. I don’t consider myself super particularly skilled at any one of those things but I do them because they bring me joy,” Nelson said. 

Although Nelson claims to not be perfectly skilled in the arts, she enjoys creating it. Nelson and many others have their own opinions when it comes to art changing seasonally. 

“I’ve noticed changes in how frequently I draw, who I draw (real people vs. not real people), what they wear, what they’re doing, and how those people are feeling, because those feelings sometimes reflect my own,” Schmitt said. 

In regards to art changing per season, many said that they believe their art would change if they lived somewhere else. 

Chloe Sampson, a senior at North uses acrylic paints, water colors, and even clay to create her art. She believes her art would change if she lived somewhere else due to her art style. 

“I think my art is always constantly changing so it would definitely change if I lived somewhere else. It never changes drastically, but I always incorporate new things into it,” Sampson said. 

Sampson further explains that she didn’t realize how much her art changed throughout the year until sometime after her piece of art was created. She also says that she’s become good at noticing how her art has developed and changed. 

Some people believe in order for art to change and develop, one has to put their emotion into it. Many expressed that they see the most change in their art during the colder months. Whether those changes be cooler colors or even a more dark aspect. 

“During the stress of the school year and the angsty winter blues I use art more as an emotional processing mechanism; while during the spring/summer it’s generally more for fun, because I have something in mind I specifically want to create or get better at,” Nelson said. 

Even further, some said their art generally depends on their present mood. For these people, art tends to create a healthy and productive outlet for people to express themselves during the warm happy summer months or cold angsty winters. 

“My art though is very reflective of my mood, so art that is produced during my sad seasons will most likely have a more depressing subject matter,” Mckalip said. 

Nelson and Mckalip seem to share a mutual opinion when it comes to how emotions play into seasonal art change, while Schmitt and Sampson share a more personal outlook and agree that their art themes typically stay the same. 

“I can’t think of anything more rewarding than being able to express yourself to others through painting. Exercising the imagination, experimenting with talents, being creative; these things, to me, are truly the windows to your soul.” -Bob Ross