Breaking News
  • May 10Happy Teacher appreciation week teachers treated with food
  • May 10Track championships are here at North this weekend
  • May 10There is only one full week of school left
  • May 10U.S. is expected to send more weapons to the Ukraine
  • May 10The Odyssey Senior Editions have arrived, look out for them next week
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Next years student section leaders
2024-2025 Student Section Leaders Announced
Tyler Goebeler (Journalism 1 Student)May 11, 2024

On Thursday, May 2, Westerville North’s athletic director Wes Elefritz  announced its student section leaders for the 2024-2025 school year....

Continue Reading
Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Next years student section leaders

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

2023 writers strike: an entertainment standstill

Strikers stand outside Hollywood Boulevard. The want to come to a deal of fair compensation.
People Magazine

The entertainment industry, which captivates global audiences with creative storytelling, is now facing some problems. The 2023 writers strike, led by the Writers Guild of America (WGA), has left TV and cinema screens empty for the upcoming year with no immediate end in sight. 

The WGA and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) have been at odds for too long. A few weeks ago they should have come to an agreement allowing the industry to go back to business, instead the situation has remained in a state of uncertainty.

The AMPTP took a bold step by publicly releasing the terms of their offer in an attempt to bring clarity into the negotiations. However, the writers stood firm in their belief that the deal wasn’t enough. 

“Despite the AMPTP’s attempt at a detour around us we remain committed to direct negotiations with the companies,” the WGA said in a statement to its members.”That’s actually how a deal gets made and strike and the period that will be good for the rest of the industry and the companies as well.”

These words highlight the importance of negotiation and how both parties must come to the table with open minds and a willingness to find common ground. The strike is not just affecting writers, but it has an impact on the entire entertainment industry. The actors, directors, crew members and countless others who rely on these productions for their livelihood are also caught in the crossfire.

Furthermore, as winter approaches, there’s an additional layer of urgency. The holiday season usually sees a surge in viewership, and the absence of new content can leave networks in a bad position. This strike could potentially cost the California economy millions of dollars in lost revenue, harming not only the entertainment industry but the broader community.  The effects of the strike reach far beyond Hollywood, they affect audiences worldwide.

For example, Netflix had to delay the release of its hit series Stranger Things, which left fans disappointed. Amazon Prime also postponed the premiere of its science fiction series The Expanse. Additionally, Disney+ pushed back the release of several Marvel Cinematic Universe shows, including Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye.

The 2023 writers’ strike has already taken its toll. Still, it’s not too late to salvage the rest of the year. This ensures a brighter future for the entertainment world and in doing so protects not only the actors behind the scenes but also the countless lives that depend on the industry’s success. 

It is time for the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers to put aside their differences and remember their common interest in the industry’s prosperity before it is too late.