Breaking News
  • April 25Ap testing starting soon
  • April 25Last day to complete CCP steps is coming up
  • April 25Columbus Crew win leg 1 of CONCACAF Champions Cup
  • April 2520 days left of school
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior) April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior) April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Westerville North Varsity boys soccer had 24 hours to learn new strategies

Brain Turk
Jordan Smith along with two of his teammates celebrated after their score. They are wearing their home cardinal jerseys.

Westerville North Varsity Boys Soccer had one day of practice sandwiched between two games. For the average person this is enough to cause a week of fatigue, but these boys failed to pull through with a 1-2 loss to Hilliard Darby.

Coach Nate Hartnell has confirmed that this isn’t always the case for the boys. There just so happened to be a game two days before Senior Night.

“Since we play Tuesdays and Thursdays, on Wednesdays we would typically watch game film and study it to give their bodies a break,” Hartnell said. 

Reviewing past game footage is not only a way to relax the body, but it also helps the players see what they can improve on and what they are doing well. One of the team captains, Peter Mensah, was an attacker a few days prior to Senior Night so switching to defender with little practice could have been a mistake if the team did not review footage to see the good and bad things that they were doing. Hartnell and Mensah were separately asked about strategy, but they had the same answer.

“Our biggest strategy early on is focusing on our bodies and staying hydrated” Hartnell and Mensah said. 

This is a great way to ensure peak performance from North’s players. Alex Turk is a defender for Westerville North. He talks about some of the key focus points for the defenders.

“Staying hydrated and staying on the outside for the Strikers,” Turk Said. Both Mensah and Turk agreed on improvement points.

“Our team needs to work on communication,” Mensah and Turk said.

Communication is the main part of any team sport and should never be left out. The goal is they will put this into play on September 12.