Breaking News
  • April 17Cedar Point reaches settlement with injured girl, opens new rollercoaster
  • April 17Indiana Fever draft Caitlin Clark with their number one pick
  • April 17NBA play in games began, teams fight for last available spots
  • April 17Taylor Swift leaves 'Easter Eggs' across the country ahead of new album release
  • April 17The USA Olympic team announces lineups
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior) April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior) April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior) April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Babcock is kicked out before he saw his first faceoff

Connor Rathburn (Junior)
The Blue Jacket’s recently hired head coach, Mike Babcock, has already been fired. This followed an incident involving player’s phones. Inforgraphic made through Canva.

Before even Michael (Mike) Babcock’s first practice, the Blue Jackets’ new head coach stepped down (ESPN). This hire in the off-season could have been the dumbest decision by the Jackets ever. The Jackets hired a coach who has been notorious for playing mind games with young players and ruining their careers.

This Jackets team has such a young core that this should have been a red flag right away. The Jackets recently had the third overall pick in the 2023 draft and picked a young center Adam Fantilli. Fantilli is a generational talent who would be a first-overall pick in any other draft. Fantilli was originally thought to be the second overall pick until the Anaheim Ducks passed on him. Letting him fall right into the Jacket’s hands.

In a short time, Babcock has already come under fire by the public. It was revealed on a podcast that he asked to go through his player’s phones. It was revealed that the situation made some of the young Blue Jackets players uncomfortable. The NHLPA (National Hockey League Players Association) is investigating this and nothing further has been said about it at this time.

This is something that isn’t surprising when looking at his past. A former Detroit Red Wing called Babcock the worst person he ever met (Detroit Free Press).

Given that there was proof of him messing with young players specifically he should not have been the choice for this young Jackets team.

The public knew it was a bad idea when the Jackets announced that Babcock was the new head coach. Although the Jackets needed a new head coach after a terrible season last year. They should have known that someone other than Babcock was the correct person for the job.

The Jackets have since hired a new head coach Pascal Vincent. Vincent has been an assistant coach for the Jackets since 2021 (NHL). Vincent is hoping to bring a new era to the Jackets with a team that should do well this season given their roster, as it contains many players that average multiple points per game. 

The real question is whether the Jackets can live up to their expectations this year.