Breaking News
  • May 10Happy Teacher appreciation week teachers treated with food
  • May 10Track championships are here at North this weekend
  • May 10There is only one full week of school left
  • May 10U.S. is expected to send more weapons to the Ukraine
  • May 10The Odyssey Senior Editions have arrived, look out for them next week
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

French 2 students scour Westerville North for the next party
Annmarie Celello (Journalism 1 student)May 15, 2024

Groups of French 2 students frantically rush around the halls to find active learning opportunities  scattered in every nook and cranny, writing...

Continue Reading
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Luke Gray (Journalism 1 Student)May 14, 2024

The Odyssey Senior Edition went to print after a year-long effort by the Odyssey staff. ESCCO print shop fulfilled the print needs for the Odyssey...

Continue Reading
Next years student section leaders
2024-2025 Student Section Leaders Announced
Tyler Goebeler (Journalism 1 Student)May 11, 2024

On Thursday, May 2, Westerville North’s athletic director Wes Elefritz  announced its student section leaders for the 2024-2025 school year....

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press

Continue Reading
Next years student section leaders

Continue Reading

Babcock is kicked out before he saw his first faceoff

Connor Rathburn (Junior)
The Blue Jacket’s recently hired head coach, Mike Babcock, has already been fired. This followed an incident involving player’s phones. Inforgraphic made through Canva.

Before even Michael (Mike) Babcock’s first practice, the Blue Jackets’ new head coach stepped down (ESPN). This hire in the off-season could have been the dumbest decision by the Jackets ever. The Jackets hired a coach who has been notorious for playing mind games with young players and ruining their careers.

This Jackets team has such a young core that this should have been a red flag right away. The Jackets recently had the third overall pick in the 2023 draft and picked a young center Adam Fantilli. Fantilli is a generational talent who would be a first-overall pick in any other draft. Fantilli was originally thought to be the second overall pick until the Anaheim Ducks passed on him. Letting him fall right into the Jacket’s hands.

In a short time, Babcock has already come under fire by the public. It was revealed on a podcast that he asked to go through his player’s phones. It was revealed that the situation made some of the young Blue Jackets players uncomfortable. The NHLPA (National Hockey League Players Association) is investigating this and nothing further has been said about it at this time.

This is something that isn’t surprising when looking at his past. A former Detroit Red Wing called Babcock the worst person he ever met (Detroit Free Press).

Given that there was proof of him messing with young players specifically he should not have been the choice for this young Jackets team.

The public knew it was a bad idea when the Jackets announced that Babcock was the new head coach. Although the Jackets needed a new head coach after a terrible season last year. They should have known that someone other than Babcock was the correct person for the job.

The Jackets have since hired a new head coach Pascal Vincent. Vincent has been an assistant coach for the Jackets since 2021 (NHL). Vincent is hoping to bring a new era to the Jackets with a team that should do well this season given their roster, as it contains many players that average multiple points per game. 

The real question is whether the Jackets can live up to their expectations this year.