Roe v. Wade returns 50 years later to teach us a lesson

Westerville+City+Hall+in+Uptown+on+South+State+Street.+Several+groups+gather+here+to+discuss+topics+like+abortion.+

Westerville City Hall in Uptown on South State Street. Several groups gather here to discuss topics like abortion.

Cori Bohan (Junior), Sports Editor

Roe v. Wade, the 1973 landmark court case, has returned almost 50 years later. The current court case, Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, is considered the second Roe v. Wade decision. A majority of the justices said they would be willing to overturn Roe v. Wade, disregarding the precedent set in 1973 (New York Times).

The case covers a law in Mississippi that bans abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy. This decision would overturn the original decision which was 23 weeks of pregnancy. 

This is a controversial issue and one that is leaving Americans bifurcating toward the direction of their own beliefs. However, no matter the decision, many teachers and students suspect that it will be a teaching moment not only in their current classrooms but in a history textbook in the future. 

Westerville North High School American History teacher, Dr. Ben Hartnell, believes it is important to have these difficult conversations in the classroom. 

“You have to be able to have a conversation with someone and be able to express your opinion and know that maybe the needle won’t move at all and not walk out of the conversation like all hope is lost,” Hartnell said. 

However, students worry that if the school does not bring attention to the topic, ignorance will grow.  A student at Westerville South High School, Abby Cumming-Vukovic (12), has attended a multitude of rallies surrounding the topic of abortion.

“My school brings little attention to the topic of abortion. Really, nothing is spoken of it,” Cumming-Vukovic said. 

However, Cumming-Vukovic has taken matters into her own hands by creating a club at her school— Fighting for Feminism.

“I created a club called Fighting for Feminism my junior year, where we have a safe place to discuss women’s issues. We have voiced our opinions of the issue and we have discussed its implications on our lives,” Cumming-Vukovic said. 

Cumming-Vukovic said her club allows their voices to be heard, especially in school. She hopes this will bring about change amidst the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization supreme court case. 

Both Harnell and Cumming-Vukovic expressed their hopes for the teaching of this issue in schools in the future. 

“Obviously, this is a landmark case and you are going to have to revisit it in the future and you have to understand the stepping stones to get to where we are presently and appreciate what came before it,” Hartnell said. 

“I hope one day, abortion will be addressed in school more than it is now,” Cumming-Vukovic said.

Both sides in the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization case launched their arguments on Wednesday, December 1, and a decision is still pending.

Current Supreme Court Justices and their parties. These Justices will determine Dobbs v Jackson Women’s Health Organization.