Breaking News
  • May 2Senior sunrise at 6 a.m. and breakfast at 6:45 in stadium and main gym
  • May 2Student executive board pushed to Friday during advisory
  • May 2Military signing at 2:15 p.m. in WLC
  • May 2AP Testing starts monday
  • May 2Student Section Leaders for 2024 announced
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Big Ten investigations come to a head

Wright Way Network
These two rival players butted heads on the field in a game two years ago. This is expected to occur again during the upcoming week 13 game following the news of Jim Harbaugh’s investigation.

Update Two: The University of Michigan defeated The Ohio State University on Saturday 30-24. Coach Jim Harbaugh was serving the last game of his three game suspension and was not on the sideline for the game.

Update One: Harbaugh was suspended from being on the sidelines during games for the rest of the regular season. After briefly appealing in court, he has dropped the appeal, and accepted the three game suspension. This means he will not be on the field for the rivalry game against Ohio State this Saturday.

The game between the Ohio State University Buckeyes and the Michigan University Wolverines has been a long going rivalry for the past 126 years (OSU libraries). Recently, Michigan was accused of sign stealing which is the act of illegally pre-scouting the opposing team’s signals and evidence has shown that the accusations were true.  

This infographic shows a variety of teams who have been caught sign stealing in previous years. Harbaugh is not the first, but is the most recent coach to do so. Made with Canva. (Aiden Montgomery (Senior))

This past weekend, the Big Ten suspended Jim Harbaugh, head football coach for Michigan. He was suspended from being on the sidelines during games for the rest of the regular season (ESPN). 

The first piece of evidence was staff member Connor Stalions attending opponents games and buying tickets behind the away and home benches of Michigan opponents. During his time at the games, he was able to learn signals and signs from the other team that correspond with various plays. 

This has shown with the team having an ability to storm back in games late and take some impressive wins this year. The investigation has shown Michigan coaches finding hand signals from opposing coaches and using them to call plays, similar to when a major league baseball team, the Houston Astros, used a trash can and camera to steal signs from opposing teams a couple of years ago (PBS).

The game this year between the Wolverines and Buckeyes is a determining competition for a playoff spot in this year’s college football playoffs. Both teams make up some of the Top Five teams. Charlie Haines (2026) has a strong opinion about the situation.

“They should be banned from the College Football Playoffs and should have heavy recruiting restrictions,” said Haines. 

8
View Comments (8)