Breaking News
  • May 8Softball kicks off tournament play
  • May 8Both NHL playoff games won in overtime last night
  • May 8Eurovision Song Contest kicks off 15 days of competition
  • May 8Starbucks releases new boba drink across all locations
  • May 8Central Ohio faces more tornadoes overnight
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

The committee snubs FSU of a playoff appearance

Aiden Montgomery (Senior)
The committee voted to rank Alabama number four over an undefeated Florida State. I believe that FSU should have gotten into the playoffs. Made with Photoshop.

When you think of playoffs, you would believe that the top teams are the ones put into the tournament to see who is the best right? Well in College Football and its four team playoff, it can be different and leave some truly great teams out of the playoff. 

The Florida State University Seminoles (FSU) were left out of the playoffs with an undefeated record and some big wins over the year. This has led to outrage over the decision and has also led to many to think there was a lot more at play than just a bad decision. 

The committee is made up of “13 former administrators and former coaches who all made a decision last Sunday,” to put the University of Michigan, University of Texas, University of Washington and University of Alabama in the playoffs. This is even with the fact that Texas and Alabama both have one loss. This has raised suspicion as the FSU team beat two power five teams on the road and went undefeated throughout the season even after their starting quarterback was injured. 

The team is outraged at the decision as their athletic director Mike Norvell is “disgusted and infuriated as earned on the field taken away because a small group of people decided they knew better than the results of the games.” The decision has baffled many as the undefeated team was snubbed and as it is only made worse as the playoff is expanded from four to twelve teams next year along with the massive conference realignment. The decision has been made and many are left wondering what they would do if they had the decision over deciding who moves on and who is left out. 

With the inclusion of two teams with a loss, I think the playoff committee got it wrong. Ohio State years ago was also included in the playoff with a backup quarterback with a loss and they did go on to win the national championship. With the complete unpredictability of sports, Florida State University should have been included in this year’s playoffs to truly get the best teams battling it out in January.