Breaking News
  • May 2Senior sunrise at 6 a.m. and breakfast at 6:45 in stadium and main gym
  • May 2Student executive board pushed to Friday during advisory
  • May 2Military signing at 2:15 p.m. in WLC
  • May 2AP Testing starts monday
  • May 2Student Section Leaders for 2024 announced
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Jake Cook tackles future opportunities

Jake+Cook+warms+up+before+a+home+game+at+Jim+McCann+Stadium.+Jake+has+played+for+the+Westerville+North+Warriors+Varsity+Football+team+since+his+freshman+year.+
Aaron Layne
Jake Cook warms up before a home game at Jim McCann Stadium. Jake has played for the Westerville North Warriors Varsity Football team since his freshman year.

What does it feel like to make split second decisions that directly impact if your quarterback has time to make the big play? An offensive lineman knows this feeling day in and day out. Although they do not make the headlines, they are some of the most important people on the field.

Jake Cook (2025) is a left tackle for the Westerville North High School offensive line. Cook has not only made a significant impact on the field but has already gotten attention from college recruiters beginning in his freshman year. 

Cook had played tackle for many years, but high school presented lots of new challenges. He shares what it was like being a freshman on Varsity. “It [was] definitely a good experience. [Being on Varsity so young] was kind of weird, I just had to get used to it,” Cook said.

He emphasizes the positive impact of a new coaching staff during his junior year, attributing his continued improvement to their guidance. Cook also talks about the importance of weight management and how losing some pounds enhanced his agility and overall skill set. 

“I played too heavy. That was one of the big things I changed in the offseason… I ended up losing 35 pounds,” Cook said.

Thomas Bobovnyk, a football assistant coach at Westerville North, recalls when he first met Cook. “He came in as a freshman, just big and strong now he’s big, strong and fast. And the biggest thing he’s improved on is his footwork,” Bobovnyk said.

Bobovnyk also highlights Cook’s leadership both on and off the field, emphasizing his role as a team captain and a standout player. “He’s one of the leaders and captains… Not only on game nights, but also during practice,” Bobovnyk said.

Bobovnyk has offered support and advice throughout Cook’s scouting journey regarding things like evaluating teams and potential playing time. While acknowledging Cook’s ability to interact with scouts, he also emphasizes that the ultimate decisions lie with Cook and his family.

“I’ve helped guide him in regards to looking at the teams that are scouting him,” Bobovnyk said.

Cook recalls the pivotal moment when the University of Akron offered him a scholarship after his freshman season. He shares how this marked the beginning of a series of collegiate football recruitments. “That’s when [I thought] I might be able to play college football and have [these] opportunities,” Cook said.

Bobovnyk praised Cook’s ability to balance academics and athletics, emphasizing that he goes about his academic responsibilities diligently. He portrays Cook as a responsible student-athlete who prioritizes schoolwork while excelling on the football field 

“He just goes about his business. I mean, he doesn’t get in trouble. He makes sure everybody’s where they’re supposed to be. Just by his play alone, it just sets examples,” Bobovnyk said.

For Cook, his academic approach came easy to him, emphasizing the importance of staying focused during school hours and managing time efficiently. Cook’s advice to fellow student-athletes is to trust the process, avoid impatience, and prioritize academics. 

Bobovnyk envisions a bright future for Cook, emphasizing that finding the right fit for his college football career will play a crucial role.

Cook discusses the factors influencing his college choices, highlighting the significance of the program’s strength, coaching staff, and academic offerings. Cook aims to make a decision before his senior year, and he has lots of good schools to choose from.

He identifies his dad as his pillar of support. He credits his father for consistently ensuring his well-being and recognizes Eric Lichter’s influence, his strength coach since freshman year, not only in physical training but also in navigating the complexities of the recruitment process. 

“My dad is definitely the guy who’s there [for me], always making sure I’m [doing] good,” Cook said.

Cook’s journey from a freshman standout to a Varsity leader with college scouts knocking at his door reflects a story of determination, growth, and teamwork. As he navigates the balance between academics and athletics, Cook stands as a promising player. 

His journey is not only marked by individual success but also by the positive impact on his team. The road ahead may be uncertain, but with a supportive team, dedicated coaching staff, and a commitment to improvement, Jacob Cook is ready for a future that extends far beyond high school.

“I think his future is bright if he finds the right school and the right fit. He has a chance to go very far, possibly the NFL (National Football League),” Bobovnyk said.