Breaking News
  • April 25Ap testing starting soon
  • April 25Last day to complete CCP steps is coming up
  • April 25Columbus Crew win leg 1 of CONCACAF Champions Cup
  • April 2520 days left of school
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

School sports should have inclusive dress codes

Kat Kojis (Senior)
Girls golf players Ridwan Adam (2025) and Safia Raki (2024) wore adaptable uniforms all season long. Following discriminatory practices against Noor Alexandria Abukaram, a bill passed to make this possible for all students.

When it comes to school sports, dress codes have long been a topic of discussion, often sparking debates on fairness and inclusivity. As a Muslim student participating in golf, I’ve been fortunate to witness firsthand how my school’s approach to dress codes stands out as a really good example of inclusion.

During golf season, my school accommodates my religious beliefs by allowing me to wear long skirts and hijab – a gesture that not only respects my faith but also sets a positive precedent for embracing diversity. This inclusive policy contrasts starkly with news stories from other schools and places where rigid dress codes can feel suffocating and discriminatory. 

For example, 16-year-old Noor Alexandria Abukaram was disqualified for wearing her hijab at an Ohio track meet in 2019. The Ohio High School Athletic Association required a waiver to wear clothing for religious practices ahead of the race. Unfortunately, her former cross-country coach hadn’t obtained a waiver and that caused her to get disqualified. After this the student worked hard to change the rules by starting Let Noor Run which was a campaign to raise awareness about discrimination in sports and fight legislative changes to protect freedom of religious expression for the athletes.

Since then the Senate Bill 181, or Noor’s Law, the passage removes this requirement. Students are now guaranteed the right to wear religious apparel during competition without needing to obtain a waiver or receive permission in advance. I think this should be instituted at all schools, nationwide to give students of all backgrounds a chance to participate in sports without being held back.

What makes my school’s stance commendable is its recognition that diversity extends beyond mere tolerance. Rather than imposing a one-size-fits-all approach, my school acknowledges the importance of accommodating religious differences, fostering an environment where students can express their individuality without compromising their beliefs and I believe in its importance.

In a broader context, this highlights the necessity for schools nationwide to reassess their dress code policies. The contrast between my positive experience and less accommodating news stories emphasizes the good impact that embracing diversity can have on a school community. By adopting a more inclusive stance, schools can have a sense of belonging and respect, and at the end shaping a generation of students who value and appreciate differences. In doing so, I believe we can move towards a future where every student, regardless of background or belief, feels accepted and celebrated on the playing field.