Breaking News
  • May 16Senior Night of excellence tonight
  • May 16Gov. DeWine signs HB250 requiring school districts to adopt policies on cellphones
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

French 2 students scour Westerville North for the next party
Annmarie Celello (Journalism 1 student)May 15, 2024

Groups of French 2 students frantically rush around the halls to find active learning opportunities  scattered in every nook and cranny, writing...

Continue Reading
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Luke Gray (Journalism 1 Student)May 14, 2024

The Odyssey Senior Edition went to print after a year-long effort by the Odyssey staff. ESCCO print shop fulfilled the print needs for the Odyssey...

Continue Reading
Next years student section leaders
2024-2025 Student Section Leaders Announced
Tyler Goebeler (Journalism 1 Student)May 11, 2024

On Thursday, May 2, Westerville North’s athletic director Wes Elefritz  announced its student section leaders for the 2024-2025 school year....

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press
Odyssey Senior Edition Goes to Press

Continue Reading
Next years student section leaders

Continue Reading

Walkouts occur across the United States

Kat Kojis (Senior)
Westerville North was not the only place where walkouts occurred regarding the international conflicts. Many people our calling upon the leaders of the countries to have a ceasefire. Made with Canva.

Last Monday Nov. 13, Westerville North High School students exercised their First Amendment rights by staging a walkout in protest to recent international events regarding the Israel-Palestinian Conflict.

In a letter to families, principal Kurt Yancey affirmed the students’ right to express their political views while emphasizing the school’s commitment to safety. Staff members were present during the walkout to ensure the well-being of participants and to maintain order on school grounds. 

The students had a small speech where they spoke and expressed their feelings about the conflict. 

Zahur Ahmed (2024), a spokesperson at the walkout says, “I spoke about it because as a student who doesn’t have to worry about staying alive every five seconds, I believe I need to use my privilege to uplift the voices of those who have to worry.” She says she cares about the people and how they are getting affected especially the children because 52.3% of Palestinians are under 18. (WAFA News Agency)

The students also went around the school chanting “Free, free, Palestine”.

Walkouts were not just occurring at Westerville North, across the United States, students and other citizens walked out to show their support for both sides of the war. 

Washington D.C. saw a march for Israel occur. Thousands of people gathered outside the National Mall. Alana Zeitek, a family member for some held hostage by the Hamas, spoke in front of the crowd. 

According to a CNN interview with Zeitek, “I wake up each morning to remember this truth: My family is being held hostage by terrorists,” Zeitek said.

In Columbia University in New York, demonstrations in support for Palestine occurred. Anysa Badran, a student, commented on the message of the walkout.

According to a CBS interview, “I think, ultimately, this is a message of peace. This is a message of saving lives,” Badran said.

People across the nation are calling for their voices to be heard regarding the Israel-Palestinian Conflict.