Breaking News
  • May 2Senior sunrise at 6 a.m. and breakfast at 6:45 in stadium and main gym
  • May 2Student executive board pushed to Friday during advisory
  • May 2Military signing at 2:15 p.m. in WLC
  • May 2AP Testing starts monday
  • May 2Student Section Leaders for 2024 announced
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

People underestimate the power of positive news

Sadio Abdi (Senior)
Society often shows all of the bad that is happening the world, causing all of the good to get overlooked. This image represents the need for a push to integrate more positive news alongside negative news. Made with Canva.

Navigating the world of social media can be daunting. While scrolling through the feed of any social media, one is certain to stumble upon some sort of negative news. As one continues to scroll, it may begin to seem like that negative news is all that exists. It feels like there’s no escape from the plethora of wars, natural disasters and conflicts bombarding the screen left and right. Trying to scroll past all the tragedies that are seemingly around every corner becomes more precarious. It’s easy to start feeling overwhelmed and emotional, perhaps even drained. This can lead people to stay away from consuming any news because there is a greater assumption that the news will only be negative. 

Hodan Osman (2024) consumes many types of different news as she goes along with her day. When spending most of her time scrolling through her socials she feels as though negative news is front and center. “I feel like it gets me a little frustrated sometimes, because I can’t really do anything about it. I feel anxious also, because like it’s too many things happening at once,” Osman said. 

The stress that comes with interacting with media cannot be overlooked, “40% of people said the news is one of their top stressors.” (GoodRx Health). When something becomes someone’s main stressor, they begin to avoid it. 

Unfortunately, avoiding news can have dire consequences. If someone avoids the news, there are minimal ways for them to pay attention to the important tragedies taking place around the world. 

Finding the perfect balance between negative and positive news can be difficult. When anything bad happens, it’s easy to get caught up in it when it’s highly sensationalized. Nevertheless, it’s equally important to highlight the positive actions that are happening in response. 

Jacob Simon, a content creator and climate educator based in Brooklyn, New York, spreads positive news to his audience of over 30 million people through daily posts and a newsletter called “Climativity.” Throughout his career, he has been a driving force for over 20,000 individual actions, and collaborates with organizations like the United Nations, NRDC, EPA, Clean Creatives to help accelerate towards a better future.

“There are often narratives that make the reader feel like it’s too late, we’ve done too much damage, and it’s hopeless,” Simon said. While he goes about preparing the next positive news to highlight, his mission rings in his head. His need to be a breath of fresh air to help people be motivated to take action when action is crucially needed.

Adna Abdi (2027), started to think of solutions to fix this wave of avoidance due to negative news. “I think more positive news alongside negative news will help people want to look at news again,” Abdi said. 

Seeking out a wide array of news might be one strategy people could implement to achieve this goal. If people avoid the news completely, they might be denying themselves access to important information. Thoughtful interaction might just be the way to get around this growing concern. The world will not turn into a magical haven for all good. However, if we can recognize and accept that then perhaps we can all continue to interact with what is going on around us at all times. 

Five Recent Positive News Stories To Tune Into

A survey done by Poynter on news avoidance, highlighting an increased amount of news selectivity. Results of the survey shows that people have a negative attitude towards news due to various reasons, (Poynter). Made in Canva. (Sadio Abdi (Senior))
  1. Arizona, one of the driest states in the US, is undergoing a new plan to fix how dehydrated the soil is. It was proposed to build a solar-panel canal to help relieve the area of the quick soil evaporation it currently has. By using solar panels, they can help be more sustainable and renewable while decreasing the chance of drought in the future. By being the first in the US to do it they are leaving a promising and green precedent for the rest of the states to follow and help tackle water depletion. 
  2. As December rolls in, Christmas traditions are renewed to spread holiday cheer. In Rockefeller, New York, the rockefeller tree has been put up, an ode to 91 prior years of tradition. The tree is a “80-foot Norwegian spruce [that] is adorned with about 50,000 lights, which totals about 5 miles of wire,” (NBC News). The ceremony to light up the tree took place last wednesday. Many live performances took place to help haul in the Christmas spirit. 
  3. The Golden Mole, a small burrowing mammal that lives in Sub-Saharan Africa and formerly thought extinct species, was rediscovered in South Africa. Presumed to be extinct by scientists in 1936, it was found nearly 100 years later by sniffer dogs. These sniffer dogs found tracks of the animal by the ecological matter and helped it be ticked off of the extinction list. 
  4. The Comedy Wildlife is an organization that holds a photography competition in hope to raise sustainability and conservation efforts. Every year, millions of photographers enter the competition and capture hilarious photos of wildlife. After submitting said photos, winners are picked in categories and are given awards. This year’s 2023 winner is Jason Moore with his photo titled, “Air Guitar Roo,” it depicts a kangaroo in the middle of a field playing an air guitar. As of now, the competition is closed but entries will open this March. 
  5. 41 workers in India were found and rescued from a tunnel collapse caused by a landslide in the Himalayas. After spending 17 days trapped in the coal tunnels they worked at, they were rescued on Nov 12. These laborers used a form of coal mining called, “rat-hole mining,” where extraction is done in very tight and narrow tunnels. “Ambulances and helicopters were on standby at the tunnel entrance to take the men to a hospital nearby. Garlands of flowers were placed around the men as they emerged, many beaming widely, and a freshly cooked meal of aloo gobi, roti, dal and rice awaited them outside the tunnel,” according to The Guardian