Breaking News
  • May 2Senior sunrise at 6 a.m. and breakfast at 6:45 in stadium and main gym
  • May 2Student executive board pushed to Friday during advisory
  • May 2Military signing at 2:15 p.m. in WLC
  • May 2AP Testing starts monday
  • May 2Student Section Leaders for 2024 announced
The Student News Site of Westerville North High School

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Suicide and Bullying Prevention at North
Keller Hyde (Junior) and Alex Cardoza (Senior)April 15, 2024

Efforts to spread awareness about student violence and suicide prevention have been on an upward trend in recent years. Despite these steps,...

Continue Reading
Ohio House Bill Restricts Transgender Athletes in Sports
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

During the 2022-2023 school year six transgender girls played in Ohio highschool sports; one of them is a tennis player who completed her senior...

Continue Reading
Why are students frustrated with High School counselors?! | RAW student interviews S2 E6
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Theodore Garrett (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading
Lia Webb (Senior)April 9, 2024

Continue Reading

Doomsday journalism incites panic

Keller Hyde
AnnMarie Celello (2025) holds a burning newspaper. Handheld news is a rare sight in today’s internet based society.

Doomsday journalism, a type of writing distinguished by its focus on sensationalism and catastrophe, has become increasingly prevalent in recent years. While it easily attracts attention and garners more clicks than a more grounded article, the effects of this reporting style are significantly more influential than one would assume.

One prominent drawback is the negative impact on the public psyche. Repeated exposure to this fear-driven style of news can lead to panic, anxiety, and a sense of helplessness among readers and viewers. This reporting not only hurts readers but also the integrity and credibility of news and journalism institutions. By focusing on sensationalist narratives, readers are shown that these news outlets are not dependable, and readership declines. 

Additionally, the focus on these extreme scenarios diverts attention from more important issues that would otherwise garner proper attention and support. By sensationalizing events, media outlets contribute to the already distorted public perception of global issues, preventing the public from playing their much-needed role in global society.

The harmful effects of doomsday journalism are more than just sensational, they are psychological, erode trust in media outlets, and hinder exposure to more pressing issues. Sensationalist news outlets need to rethink their approach to journalism and prioritize responsible and balanced reporting for the sake of society.

2
View Comments (2)