Art’s Importance in Black Lives Matter Movement

+Local+Cincinnati+artists+create+a+street+mural+that+reads%2C+%E2%80%9CBlack+Lives+Matter%E2%80%9D+on+June+18%2C+2020%2C+on+Plum+Street+in+front+of+City+Hall+in+Cincinnati.+%0A

Photo by: Albert Cesare

Local Cincinnati artists create a street mural that reads, “Black Lives Matter” on June 18, 2020, on Plum Street in front of City Hall in Cincinnati.

Jessica Ramírez, Reporter

This year, the Black Lives Matter movement has made its way into the topic of conversation as people at home can give their full attention to what is happening in the world. People in the art community have shown their support by creating artwork that conveys the message that the movement is advocating.

From simple posters to huge murals, the art community indicates that they are willing to fight for change. 

As the Black Lives Matter movement has resurfaced since we last saw it go global in 2016, art has been a key factor in helping spread information and has created a new media for the consumer to comprehend. 

One might not go a day without seeing a Black Lives Matter related work of art on social media or around their neighborhood. This helps to keep the movement fresh in people’s minds. 

A simple, yet effective way to show support for the movement is by creating posters. Many people in Westerville have put up signs and flags outside their home that show their support for Black Lives Matter.

Calise Jackson, a junior at Westerville North High School, has been actively speaking about the movement since 2017. 

“Posters draw attention to the movement by using pictures and bright-colored letters to help spread the message quickly and creatively,” Jackson said. 

Murals, paintings, digital art and photography are a few ways artists have expressed their support. For example; Ohio has three notable murals, one in Cincinnati, one in Cleveland and one in Akron. All three murals were made by local artists.

Each artist painted the words Black Lives Matter on a street where it would be seen by many people. 

While art alone is seen as an effective way to boost the movement, there has also been a lot of performative activism as well. 

Sheri Nguyen, a junior at Westerville South High School, has been very outspoken about the movement. 

“Art can bring awareness and show support, which is good, but those who only share Black Lives Matter related art on social media and no other useful information are being preformative activists. It lacks sharing ways to help the movement as individuals,” Nguyen said. 

Performative activism can be seen in not only regular citizens, but in politicians as well. Muriel Bowser, D.C.’s mayor, had staff from the District of Columbia Department of Public Works paint the words Black Lives Matter on 16th Street. This street is directly in front of Lafayette Square that the White House is also in front of. Bowser also changed the name of the area to Black Lives Matter Plaza.

In addition to having 16th Street painted, Bowser also has made plans to increase the budget for the Metropolitan Police Department, planned to double the size of the cadet program and has given more than three million dollars to the growing police force through 2021, according to the newyorker.com

Regardless of some people using art for their performative activism, art is overall a great way to bring awareness to the issue of police brutality. The response of artists towards the Black Lives Matter movement was very supportive and helped the movement in the long run. 

Nunaa Tiskata, a junior at Westerville North High School and Family Reunion Show member, has inspiring thoughts about the movement. 

“Photography and artwork are easy to share on social media to your friends and family. It’s inspiring to see pictures of protests because it encourages others to contribute to the movement. Seeing those pictures and artworks consistently keeps the movement fresh in our heads no matter how long it has been.” 

Tiskata concluded, “The art makes me feel like black voices are being heard, it shows that people are very passionate about the movement.”