Return of the Warcats

Kai

Josh Tidd (11) a dedicated member of the Westerville Warcat’s hockey team. He is number 96 on the team.

Brittany Abston (Senior), Photography Editor

The Westerville Warcats Hockey Association (WWA) is a non-profit organization founded Dec. 3 2008. Although the WWA has been an organization for almost a decade, in 2018, the WWA recently allowed the following districts to participate on their club teams; Westerville, Reynoldsberg, Big Walnut, and Gahanna-Jefferson. 

The Westerville Warcats Association consists of two teams; Varsity and Junior Varsity (JV). The Varsity and JV teams are particularly unique because they consist of a mix of high school athletes from around the district. The JV team schedule consists of two practices a week held on Tuesdays and Thursdays, along with games on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. The Varsity team schedule is fairly similar with practices on Mondays and Wednesdays and games on the weekend as well. 

Both teams are well into their respective seasons. Varsity has played 12 games so far with a record of 5-7, while JV has played half as many games with a record of 6-0. Josh Tidd (11) a student at Westerville North and long-term Varsity athlete for the WWA. Tidd stated that throughout his time at the WWA, he has noticed the league has gotten more competitive.

“As we’ve worked up age groups, it’s gotten a lot more competitive with a lot more skilled players,” Tidd said. 

Due to the level of skill and competitiveness that has changed over the years, the WWA Varsity team made history on Oct. 10, 2021 beating one of their biggest competitors—the Newark Generals. This win was a big one not only for the WWA, but for the community as well since the Warcats haven’t beat the Newark Generals in three years. 

The Westerville Warcats Association has a long history of bringing high school athletes together and will continue creating unique bonds between them as well. In terms of the WWA Varsity and JV teams, their next games are held on Dec. 19 with Varsity playing the Cincinnati Swords, and Dec. 17, with JV facing the Athens Bobcats.

Westerville Warcat final scores over the past three games. The Warcats are 1-2 over that span.